Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 27, 2011

Figueres/Cadaqués - Spain

     Monday morning we set off for the hometown of Salvador Dalí, Figueres. It's located on the near the border with France and is home to a museum that he helped design and paint. While I don't underestimate the popularity of Dalí, I did underestimate how popular the museum in his hometown would be. The line was long and getting through the museum was even longer. It's laid out like a maze and feels difficult to navigate at times but its overall a great museum. Before going in, we stopped at a coffee shop for a quick breakfast drink. Izzy ran downstairs to use the bathroom and had to use a key to get in. I waited a few minutes and went down to get the key from her. As I turned the corner, I saw a short lady trying to put her key in the door and open it. Suddenly, I heard Izzy scream "stop!" The lady gasped and pulled her key out of the door. It quickly opened and Izzy popped out and stared her down. She later told me she thought it was me messing with her. Apparently, she was trying to unlock the door and the lady's key prevented her so thats why she yelled. The whole thing made me laugh for quite a while and I'm sure that lady has never been yelled at like that by a total stranger in a bathroom.
     When we finished with the Dalí musuem, I pulled out a list of places to visit given to me by a family I worked with in Madrid. They are from Catalunya and wanted me to visit some of their favorite places. The first place we chose is called Cadaqués. The town sits out on the Cap de Creus peninsula along the famous Spanish Costa Brava. The town was incredible. The drive there is through a mountainous national park with spectacular views of the valleys below. The buildings in the town are all white and they have small ten - fifteen yard wide mini beaches. We parked the car and walked around for a bit.
     After Cadaqués, a former haunt of Dalí, we went to another one of his favorite getaways, Port Lligat. It too is littered with small beaches of ten-fifteen yards wide. There were tons of small inlets and coves to get away to a private and secluded section of water to swim and relax. We saw several people hike a ways to get a more secluded piece of beach.
     Our final stop of the day was in another beach town called Roses. As we entered the city, we saw a local market and pulled in in hopes of getting some olives. We were disappointed to not find any but a smart man selling cheese gave us a slice of Manchegan cheese that inspired us to buy a pound of it. We spent that night and the next day randomly cutting slices of the cheese to eat. We also bought some Catalan sausage called fuet(pronounced like "fwet"). We took a long walk along the beach and had some drinks at a local bar. Nice way to end the day.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see the cheese!!!! It looks like you guys are having fun. Good job on finding the rich people.

    ReplyDelete