Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

L'Escala and the Ruins of Empuries

     On Tuesday, we headed back out to the coast after a night in Girona. Catalunya is rife with tolls so we had our GPS take us through back roads. The day before, Izzy's dad and I started noticing a common thing on the back roads. Random girls sat at the edge of roads under an umbrella. It wasn't until we saw one not wearing any underwear and skirt that didn't cover her well enough that we realized they were rural call girls. Guess they don't just work in the city. Our first destination was Castelló de Empuries because I thought it was the site of an ancient Greek town. Wrong. It's a nice little medieval town but not ruins. So we moved on to Empuriabravas. It's on the coast and the name sounded familiar. Wrong. It's full of rich people and their yachts. They also have nice canals to connect the houses the ocean.
     After a few attempts, I was finally able to track down someone who knew what ruins I was talking about and could point me in the right direction. I wanted to go to L'Escala they told me. Great. So we packed it up and headed on south. I was told it was an hour drive south but the GPS said twenty minutes. This concerned me that maybe I wouldn't be going to where I wanted to. As we got closer, we started to see signs for the ruins with the name Empuries that I recalled the family mentioning to me. The entrance fee was only 2 for me and Izzy and free for her dad. Mom had to pay full price. Tough breaks for fully employed. The ruins are amazing though. They are preserved Greek and Roman settlements dating back from the 3rd century BC and they sit right on the coast. Her dad had a field day wondering around.
     Around three, Izzy, her mom, and I decided we wanted some beach time. It was then that we realized we couldn't find her dad. He had wandered off to some small crevice and managed to hide from us for thirty minutes. We finally gave up on him and went to see the Roman ruins and then on to the beach. We eventually found him wandering up and down the area outside the park. It was a bit of a pain to leave the park because they only gave us two hours of outside time due to parking regulations.
     After we swam and frolicked in the water, we gently put our sunburned bodies in the car for a five hour car ride to Zaragoza so we could visit a vineyard the next day. It was a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment